Monday, July 9, 2012

1554: Enlightened Black Ale

Hello fellow beer lovers! I am very new to blogging, so I apologize ahead of time for any blogging blips. To begin the beer journey I have chosen New Belgium Brewery's: 1554

1554: Enlightened Black Ale


In the late 90's Phil Benstein, researcher, and Peter Bouckaert, brewmaster, traveled to Belgium in search of an ancient beer recipe. Deep within a library they located what came to be 1554, named after the year the recipe was dated.

Beer Information:


5.6% Alcohol by volume
21 IBUS
Style: Black Ale
New Belgium's word on the matter: "1554 Enlightened Black Ale uses a lager yeast strain and dark chocolaty malts to redefine what dark beer can be."

My Experience


I first tried 1554 on a dark rainy day. Immediately I was impressed by how unique and light the flavor was. It was my first black ale (they are rare). Typically beers dark in color are stouts or porters which contain heavy, creamy notes. 1554 is somewhat fruity but still contains a slight bitterness. But don't take my word for  it, go try one today! You won't be disappointed.







1 comment:

  1. Loved this blogger's take on a Dark Ale. This was the first Dark Ale I'd ever tried and it was real different than a stout like Guiness. Please keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete